Form Filtering

Powerchart is an application that physicians use to document patients they encounter. In this project, I added a feature that filters forms in the charting workspace.

My Role

Lead UX Designer
User Research
Wireframes
Prototypes

Tools I Used

Whiteboard
Miro
Sketch
InVision

Methods

Interviews
Personas

The Problem

When clinicians encounter patients, they need to quickly review their history, complete and approve forms in progress. This entailed scrolling and time, making it difficult to find the form they needed to complete their workflow. As a result, they spent less time caring for the patients during their visits. 

My Process

Requirements

I held a Kickoff Meeting and met with the product owner and stakeholders to gather requirements. I gained insights into the goals, user needs, and technical constraints. 

Research

Empathy
I conducted interviews with stakeholders and SMEs to better understand their habits, desires, and needs. I wanted to know how their answers would vary depending on their skill level.

Key Findings & Insights
The interviews helped me understand the current flow and define the users: nurses, physicians, and students. Nurses were the primary users.

  • Users don’t want to spend more time documenting on a computer than they have to. Every add, click, loading time, processing time – all of these add up and don’t take long to build up frustration.
  • Their goal is to see as many patients as they can a day.
  • Slowing them down may introduce risks in other ways.
  • They use the Charting section to review, tag, unchart, modify or complete the workflow.

Define

Problem Statement
Users need a way to quickly filter forms based on statuses in desktop and mobile views. Their goal is to move through their workflow more efficiently to see as many patients as possible per day.

Personas
I found that users of varying roles have different needs. As a result, I created three user personas for nurses, physicians, and students. Nurses were the primary users, so that was my main focus. I revisited these personas often to remind myself of user’s needs and frustrations and maintain a user-centric focus for the duration of the project. 


Use Cases

  • If a physician needed to sign unauthorized documentation (by student), they would pull up the charted form, review, and sign it.
  • A nurse could be looking for a form in a completed status because they know they saw it earlier and now want to tag it. They know what they are looking for, or they see the status.
  • They do not see something they thought they charted or would have to come back to something they were In Progress on. They know they left a form In Progress and need to come back to it.

 

 

User Flow
I created a user flow, which gave me a clear picture of the steps that the user would need to take to get to their final goal in the most effective manner possible. 

Ideate

I identified core features that answered my persona’s problem.

Core Features

  • Access filters
  • Select multiple filter options (Status, Author, Date)
  • View Applied Filters
  • Clear All Filters or individual filters


Sketches
I explored different solutions with sketches until I found a combination of elements and features that would be as intuitive as much as possible. I presented these to the team and we decide to move forward with the Dropdown Menu option. 



Wireframes

Next, I created wireframes in Miro and presented them to stakeholders for feedback. There were several rounds of iterations.

Prototype/Usability Testing

After the final round of wireframes and gaining approval, I made a prototype and worked with the Human Factors team, who conducted usability testing. Participants were asked to complete a few scenario-based tasks that would test the main features. They were also asked how they felt about the feature in general. The results of the usability test were recorded and analyzed.

 

Key Findings
The HF Team made notes of the positive and negative feedback so that I knew what to rework.

Positive

  • Filtering was perceived as a useful feature. 
  • Most participants found the Filter button and set the parameters successfully. 
  • 83% of participants were able to find and complete filtering tasks. 

Negative

  • It’s not clear in the UI that users need to press the button labeled with the Filter Icon to enter the feature.

Areas for Improvement: make the icon of the filter button more understandable. Consider adding the term “Filter” to the label or replacing the icon altogether. 

Resolution: The team agreed to put the text “Filter” on the button. 

Design Changes
I made changes based on the user feedback. I created a high-fidelity version of the feature and added the label “Filter” to the button. 

Handoff

Guide for Development

Final

My solution aligned with the objectives set in place. It includes core features necessary for users to filter forms efficiently and became the standard way to filter across our suite of applications.